IEEE discount options may vary from year to year as IEEE continually reviews and assesses its publishing program’s APC pricing. This comprehensive analysis ensures that IEEE prices are appropriate and sufficient to enable us to maintain a high-quality publishing program and fulfill our mission to support researchers in sharing their work to the technical community.
All IEEE gold open access journals participate in the low and lower-middle income country discount program.
Authors located in lower-middle-income countries are eligible for a discount on their Article Processing Charge (APC) ranging from 25% to 50%, depending on the country.
Authors located in low-income countries are eligible for a 100% waiver.
The discount level is determined by the country’s GNI per capita as listed by the World Bank and Lending Groups.
Starting with papers submitted in 2024, when publishing in one of our fully open access journals,
- If all the authors of a paper are located in low-income countries, they are eligible for a 100% waiver on their APC.
- If all the authors of a paper are located in lower-middle-income countries, they are eligible for a discount on their APC ranging from 25% to 50%, depending on the country.
- If all the authors are from various countries that are eligible for different percentages, the discount that will be applied will be associated to the author located in the country with the lowest discount we offer.
- If one of the authors is not located in one of the countries eligible for a discount, no discount will be given.
How to check if you are eligible for an APC waiver or discount?
The waiver or discount will depend on the location of the authors’ institution.
- 100% APC waiver: The corresponding author and co-authors must all be from a Group A country institution.
- 50% APC discount: The corresponding author and co-authors must all be from a Group B country institution.
- 25% APC discount: The corresponding author and co-authors must all be from a Group C country institution.
- 50% APC discount: A mix of authors from Group A and B countries
- 25% APC discount: A mix of authors from Group A and C countries
- No waiver or discount: A mix of authors from non-eligible countries and Group A, B and/or countries
To see the category country by Group listing and the discount percentages please visit this link: https://open.ieee.org/wp-content/uploads/2024-Geographical-GEO-Discount-2.2024.pdf
The discount will automatically be applied when completing your payment.
Membership discounts cannot be combined or applied.
Our waiver policy does not apply to hybrid journals as authors publishing in hybrid journals are already able to publish under the subscription-based model at no cost.